Monday, April 5, 2010

Sculpture!



Lately in sculpture I've been working on...well....sculpture. Our first project of the semester was to make a sculpture of a partner's head. I was partnered with the loverly Susanna Kirk and this is what happened. Before you say anything, I know it doesn't look anything like her (mostly because the face is too long and the nose broke off during the plaster removal). I'm proud of it, still. I feel like I got the proportions of the face, head, and neck correct (for the most part) and that's a big step for me. Now...if only I could start doing that on the human body. THAT'S going to take a lot of work.


So...we made the Plasticine (it's like clay, pretty much) version, covered it in plaster, took the plaster off, dug the Plasticine out of the cracks, put the plaster parts back together, and poured concrete inside. After that dried, we pulled the plaster off (hammer and chisel plus my hands equals OUCH in more than one instance) and wah-lah! Susanna head in concrete. I broke off a LOT of stuff. Susanna can't hear or smell at the moment. But...I'm working on it. Today I hope to have it completed and patched up. After this...Styrofoam sculptures! This'll be really cool, though. The molten Aluminum will burn away the Styrofoam in the sand and take its place. I hope I can have pictures of that whole process up!

No comments:

Post a Comment